Your Investment Property

Commercial tenant vacated and left unpaid water bills

bumnut 02 Nov 2017, 09:06 PM

Hello, I have a commercial property and the tenant left in July. I have since received a bill from the water company for his water rates and usage, totalling around $600. Unfortunately their policy is that if the tenant doesn't respond to Final Notice demands for payment the onus is then on me, the landlord. My rental agent say they have been "unable to contact him"..I believe he is running a business a few suburbs over. The bill is due for final payment on Nov 6th. I have the original copy issued to the tenant as well as a duplicate copy now issued in my name (how can that happen?!!) . I want to try to recover this debt. Should I pay the water company in the meantime (who are threatening to disconnect but here is now a new tenant in there!) and hope for a reimbursement from the tenant, or is it best to not pay it and see if I can somehow get him to pay it direct to the water company? Does anyone know what options I have to try to force him to pay this bill??? or reimburse me once Ive paid it...? I at least want him black-listed as someone who doesnt pay their bills....

• Property88 06 Nov 2017, 11:30 AM

I would ask your property manager for guidance? I certainly wouldn't want to risk your own credit profile being impacted over $600; can you contact the council and ask for a payment plan?

• . 06 Nov 2017, 09:26 PM

Thank you Property88, Yes I have now gone ahead and paid the amount just before the due date and have expressed my anger to the real estate agent who should have looked after this for me better...awaiting their response...don’t see why I should have to bear the brunt of this...someone wasn’t doing their job properly...we’ll see what happens...certainly been a lesson for next time!

Close